1. What is the difference between decorative Crostone stone and natural stone?
Decorative Crostone stone is made from natural stone molds and this makes it lighter than natural stone. Due to its weight, natural stone requires additional wall clamps, which results in additional costs and a more complicated installation. Crostone decorative stone is light, designed for installation on various substrates, and it is possible to install on substrates on which it would be complicated and expensive to install natural stone.
2. What are the advantages of using decorative stone?
Crostone decorative stone is about a third to half cheaper than natural stone when it comes to installation. Its low weight eliminates the need for additional wall clamps.
Waste in natural stone is up to 10%, while in decorative stone it is 2-3%.
3. Where can decorative stone be placed?
Crostone decorative stone can be placed on any solid surface with appropriate preparation. It can be used in any project, from the smallest to the largest and is suitable for cladding both exteriors and interiors.
4. Can I install Crostone decorative stone myself?
Generally, Crostone decorative stone can be laid by anyone but requires minimal knowledge of stone laying. Feel free to call us on +385 1 3644 121 and we will be happy to help you with the advice or recommendation of a master with more experience.
5. How does Crostone stone withstand cold and frost?
Crostone decorative stone was tested for 50 cycles of freezing and thawing and showed no damage.
6. How much does Crostone decorative stone weigh?
The weight of Crostone decorative stone varies from 19-33 kg, depending on the model.
7. Will the color of the stone fade?
The base color is at the base of the stone and then mixed with the surface pigment eyeshadow while still in a liquid state so the color becomes an integral part of the stone itself. Only the highest quality inorganic iron-oxide paints are used, which do not fade during years of exposure to atmospheric conditions.
8. How important is good stone placement?
As with all building materials, the way the stone is laid has a big impact on the overall look and beauty. Before installing it, it is good to make a test board on the floor without gluing and then start installing it on the wall.
9. How much decorative stone can be placed per day?
Depending on the stone itself and the experience of the master, an installation of 7-20 square meters per day is possible. In the case of irregular stone that needs to be grouted, the lining is slower than the Quickfit drywall, which is vertically the same size and can be laid up to 20 square meters per day.
10. Where can I buy Crostone decorative stone?
Visit our showroom at 191 Zagrebačka Street in Zagreb or look for the nearest distributor on our website www.Crostone.com.
11. Where can I find installation masters?
Visit our showroom at Zagrebačka ulica 191 in Zagreb or look for the nearest distributor on our website www.Crostone.com.
12. Does Crostone decorative stone meet construction laws?
Crostone decorative stone complies with all building laws.
13. Is Crostone decorative stone flammable?
No, Crostone decorative stone according to research in the laboratory is not flammable and can be placed on the exterior facades of fireplaces, but it is recommended that it be half a meter away from open flames.
14. Can I install Crostone decorative stone on floors?
Crostone decorative stone is intended only for wall coverings and due to its low weight it is not good for floors.
15. What is the thickness of Crostone decorative stone?
Thickness varies from 2-6 cm, depending on the model.
16. Can I place Crostone decorative stone near water?
It is not recommended to place it in pools or fountains below the water level, and where the stone could be exposed to possible water spills, it is desirable to protect it with quality coatings.
17. How much glue is needed to lay one square meter of stone?
Depending on the roughness of the surface on which the stone is placed, 4-5 kg of glue per square meter is needed.
18. What is the thickness of the placed stone?
The thickness of the adhesive layer must be added to the thickness of the stone, which is 0.5-1 cm, depending on the surface where the stone is placed.
19. Can the stone be coated?
Crostone decorative stone does not need to be coated. If you decide to coat it for extra protection, use only penetrating silane or siloxane-based permeable coatings.
20. How to clean the stone in case of flowering?
In the case of flowering, which can occur in all concrete elements, and the result is the release of moisture from the concrete element where salt accumulates on the surface, it is possible to wash the surface with a mixture of vinegar and water (vinegar: water 1: 5). Brush lightly with a soft brush so as not to damage the stone surface in combination with water and vinegar. Flowering itself and if it happens disappears by itself when all the water evaporates which can take up to two years.
21. What about graffiti protection?
Crostone decorative stone is considered a good protection against graffiti because its rustic surface and various color combinations are not a good base for artists with graffiti. Always test on a smaller surface to see how it will behave before applying it to the entire wall. No coatings may be applied to the stone for the first 28 days after installation.
22. How is Crostone decorative stone placed when there is an expansion groove?
Treat each section as a “separate” installation. Do not bridge the expansion joints with stone.
23. What does Crostone decorative stone recommend for sheet metal around windows and doors?
In order to preserve the water resistance of the exterior walls covered with Crostone decorative stone, drainage and a stainless steel cover on all ends of the installed stone are required.
24. Does Crostone decorative stone require additional support in the foundation?
Additional foundation is not required because the stone is glued with flexible adhesive because of its low weight no additional security is required.
25. Is a rain protection system needed?
No additional rain protection system is required although it can be used but with the authorization of the architect.
26. Is it possible to place Crostone decorative stone on fireplaces?
It can be placed around the fireplace but must be at least half a meter away from open flames.
27. How to place a stone in the summer at higher temperatures?
The stone is laid by a standard procedure, provided that the areas where the stone is placed are additionally moistened so that the stone does not fall off by evaporating moisture too quickly.
28. Applications of Crostone Decorative Stone at heights above 5 meters?
You consult with an authorized builder for any project above 5 meters high. Check local building codes to see if there are additional requirements when installing an additional impregnation layer.
29. How can I find out more about Crostone decorative stone?
Feel free to call us on +385 1 3644 121 and we will be happy to help you.